Wednesday, February 6, 2013

At this time I'm watching the Democratic National Convention. There are so many lessons from these speakers, but I don't want to appear -- I guess too -- biased.

Here is a list of some of the attributes / qualities that I've heard in the DMC speeches:

  • Clinton: inclusiveness, civility, dialogue
  • Biden: testimony, narrative, signposting, vocal volume control
  • Maddox:  Creating connections and conversations.
If I reviewed the speeches from the Republican National Convention, would I find the same qualities? I should try. I will try. 

Clinton, memorably, talked about the simple idea that Barack Obama, as a leader, didn't hold grudges from the 2008 election, but instead invited those who most would consider his adversaries, to join in his administration. Biden was his competitor in the primaries but, as vice-president, he entrusted Biden to oversee the end of the Iraq war and run the recovery act; he appointed Republican secretaries of defense, and "even appointed Hillary." This demonstration of leadership without being (mis-)guided by partisanship and divisiveness is a standard of leadership that merits the attention of college students, regardless of political leaning (many, I've found, at the art school where I teach, have no leaning).  Obama's actions are plain ol' "good sportsmanship" --an attitude of interaction that is a healthy part of any competition from video games to golf  -- as well as plain old cooperation, not just in rhetoric, but in the practices of leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment